Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Reminisce...Via Spiga

I remember a time when me and my cronnies would cruise the mall in Utica(YUCK), NY in search of clothes and shoes to wear that didn't resemble what the locals were sporting. FUBU hoodies and Girbaud jeans just weren't our cup of tea. We actually stumbled upon a chic little shoe boutique that was so out of place in that hick town mall. Needless to say, I was overjoyed! Our weekly Thursday shopping excursions were actually exciting now. All of us being poor as church mice, would sacrifice our work study paychecks (or for some, their tuition...I swear it wasn't me), to pay down, yes honey they had Lay-a-way, on our prized VIA SPIGA shoes.

I have to honestly say that although I was familiar with the brand, I had never purchased a pair prior. I really never purchased much of anything on my own until I left for college. So, this was sort of like a Rites of Passage for me. Now, I would be able to feed my habit all on my own.

During my short stay in Utica(YUCK), NY I racked up on a few pair of Via Spiga's which I still own...a patent leather croc embossed pair were my favorite. I apologize for not providing a visual, but they are currently in storage. After leaving college, I still had a great appreciation for the label and my love affair with shoes only escalated. While at work one day, I happened to stumbled upon a pair of Via Spiga, Urbina multi-colored polka-dot pumps. I instantly fell in lust with them...yes, lust, I am a shoe whore. Even though I really dug these shoes, there was just something undone that didn't settle so well with me. Being sort of extravagant sometimes, I decided to spruce them up.
smaller version
smaller version

Voila, they were now perfect for me! A bit gaudy, but they suit me well. I even made a corsage to match. Most who saw them, loved them.

My love affair lives on. I still purchase shoes and I've even gotten a wicked handbag from Via Spiga. I'd advise you take a look at these classic, yet updated styles below. They might just find a home in your closet.

Jules $230
Photobucket

Query $250
Photobucket

Robin $225
Photobucket

1 comment:

Reesie said...

Gal! A bashment ting…I too remember being poor in college and still being able to dig up money for shoes even though I really had no where to wear them to in town where sleep attire was the same as day attire - where hair, nails, and lip gloss was not a priority to say the least. For those of us who went to college for things other than an education, I must say getting dressed up in our Sunday best with a banging pair of sandals (cause sandals are not just summer wear..) to sport to the closest corner store for all to admire and hate was well worth it. Thank God for layaway.

OMG! Shoenista, what a shame…you would have left them in the dust. Dem nuh ready yet