Monday, July 7, 2008

Sk8r Girl...

So, this past weekend we, myself, my luvbug, and my little "short-pants", checked out the Afro-Punk happenings at BAM in Brooklyn, NY. The Afro-Punk organization has set up a 2 week event to celebrate blacks that have embraced the "punk" culture. There were skaters, bike riders and onlookers galore as well as some really dope performaces from guest DJ Afrika Bambaataa and Janelle Monae- she effing rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! Gazing in amazement at the multitudes of black boys and men glide back and forth, I was a bit jealous and wished that I was able to do some gnarly tricks...I can barely stand on the damn board, much less attempt to possibly maim myself attempting tricks!

As with most extreme sports, or sports in general, skating is definitely male dominated, but the Ladies came out to show and prove! They showed determination and skill and were relentless about being competent contenders. But along with that sass, was a wardrobe none to shabby. Decked out with unique hairstyles all their own, there tees "outspoken", jeans "skinny", and footwear fierce! As you probably all know by now, I'd wear heels to the basketball court, but I still appreciate the good stylings of a dope sneaker.

There was a time that I just could not understand why sneakers were so damn expensive. Honestly, I still don't, but I do believe in spending major dollars on a quality shoe(only if you have the means). It's a total investment in my eyes, so why wouldn't someone who's honing in on their talents want the same?

These Nike Dunk Low Pro SB "Tiffany" are extremely rare skateboarding sneaks. Tiffany blue and embossed leather croc pattern...at $600, they are a prize!

Nike Dunk Low Pro SB "Tiffany" $600
Photobucket

Why are they called Ice Cream? Because they are SWEEEEEET!
Nike Dunk Low GS "Ice Cream" $58
Photobucket

These silver honies will provide the bling you need on your board! Who will try to test you in these?
Nike Dunk Low "Dinosaur Jr." $200
Photobucket

2 comments:

Reesie said...

Shoenista
I remember there was a time when having the fliest sneaker with the nice tight azz jeans was the shiznic. These remind me of the days

The Shoenista said...

yes girl...those were the days and we were HOT!

i need to thank you for reading my blog religiously and for all your comments.

luv you reesie!